Performance exceeds expectations
SIGMA Art line introduces a supreme edition to classic macro lenses
Mid-telephoto macro lenses give photographers a boost to creativity and a versatile working distance, which makes the lenses a favorite among professionals as part of their basic gear. Introduced as the first macro lens for mirrorless cameras in the Art line of lenses for mirrorless cameras, the 105mm F2.8 DG DN MACRO | Art packs the highest level of performance expected of a mid-telephoto macro lens into its body, from its superb optical performance to excellent build quality.
Beyond being a high-spec macro lens that excels in a wide range of settings, the SIGMA 105mm F2.8 DG DN MACRO | Art is ideal for macro shooting or portraits. It can also give photographers an opportunity to rediscover a new way of looking at or enjoying things such as unexpected beauty or something precious in everyday life through its perspective that is unique to a macro lens. It provides performance that goes far beyond the expectation or imagination of what a “classic mid-telephoto macro lens” can be.
- Everything required in a mid-telephoto macro lens has been achieved at highest levels
The latest optical design of the 105mm F2.8 DG DN MACRO | Art ensures exceptional sharpness at all shooting distances from extreme close- up, which is crucial in macro shooting, all the way up to infinity. In addition, its aberration correction places a particular focus on longitudinal chromatic aberration which cannot be handled by the in-camera aberration correction. The superior optical design produces clear images with both delicate rendering and free of color bleeding.
Bokeh was one of the focuses in the 105mm F2.8 DG DN MACRO | Art design, which figures largely in mid-telephoto shooting. The ample volume of peripheral light helps create beautiful bokeh circles, while natural bokeh effect in the background, as well as foreground, gives more flexibility to photographic expressions. Furthermore, when equipped with the TC-1411 (1.4x) or TC-2011 (2.0x), SIGMA’s latest models of teleconverters designed exclusively for the use with L-Mount lenses, it allows photographers to shoot macro at even higher macro magnifications while keeping the working distance.
The 105mm F2.8 DG DN MACRO | Art has achieved everything that is required of a mid-telephoto macro lens at the highest levels.
- SIGMA Art line class optical and AF performance
The SIGMA Art line lenses prioritize optical performance above all else in their design. This applies to the 105mm F2.8 DG DN MACRO | Art, which produces outstanding rendering performance from the center of the frame all the way up to the edges. It excellently handles comatic aberration, which often happens at the edges.
On the other hand, its abilities to minimize ghosting and flare, which have been validated through rigorous testing from the early stages of its development, ensures that it performs well in backlit conditions.
On top of optimization for the latest functionalities, such as face/eye detection AF, which is something mirrorless camera systems do well, it incorporates a powerful Hyper-Sonic Motor (HSM) in its focus motor system to achieve high-precision, quiet AF operation.
All of these elements are brought to life using advanced production technology at the Aizu Factory, SIGMA’s only production site, giving the 105mm F2.8 DG DN MACRO | Art the highest levels of performance worthy of the SIGMA Art line.
- A full range of functionalities and an excellent build quality
On its body, the 105mm F2.8 DG DN MACRO | Art features a focus limiter setting which comes in handy during macro shooting and the AFL button* to which users may assign select functions. The aperture ring, which is designed to help users work intuitively, has a setting to turn ON or OFF the clicking sound that isn’t required by some users when shooting macro. It also comes with a switch for a ring lock system. Its enhanced functions allow users to customize their shooting operations in accordance with their shooting styles.
The lens also has a dust – and splash-proof structure which is built to handle all manner of shooting conditions. The rings and switches, meanwhile, have a build quality that is superb in terms of durability, as well as how they work and how they feel.
With levels of user-friendliness, adaptability to the environment, and smoothness of operation that are designed for professional uses, the 105mm F2.8 DG DN MACRO | Art pushes the boundaries for photographers and gives them wider creative possibilities.
- Lens construction: 17 elements in 12 groups, with 1 SLD lens
- Compatible with high-speed autofocus
- Compatible with lens-based optical correction
- Function available on supported cameras only. Available corrections may vary depending on the camera model.
- Dust-and splash-proof
- Water- and oil-repellent coating
- Super Multi-Layer Coating
- Aperture ring
- Aperture ring click switch
- Aperture ring lock switch
- When turned ON at the position A, the aperture ring is locked at A. When turned ON at a position other than A, it is locked within the range between the maximum to minimum apertures and will not engage at the position A.
- AFL button
- Focus limiter switch
- Focus Mode Switch
- Lens Hood
- Compatible with SIGMA TELECONVERTER TC-1411, TC-2011 (sold separately / for L-Mount only)
- Compatible with SIGMA USB DOCK UD-11 (sold separately / for L-Mount only)
- Designed to minimize flare and ghosting
- The HSM (Hyper Sonic Motor)
- Support DMF, AF+MF
- Every single lens undergoes SIGMA’s proprietary MTF measuring system “A1”
- 9-blade rounded diaphragm
- High-precision, durable brass bayonet mount
- “Made in Japan” craftsmanship