This Parisian Nights-colored Large DV Core Unit from Shimoda Designs is an equipment insert that enhances the ability to organize the contents of a Shimoda Designs Action X70 Backpack, Carry-On Roller Version 2, and DV Roller. Constructed for fully-featured digital cinema cameras, the Large DV Core Unit provides 7.8″ of depth protection while inside an upright backpack or rolling case. It can accommodate a digital cinematography camera with an attached lens, an additional telephoto lens, and accessories.
Equipment placed within this insert’s non-abrasive interior can be arranged using its 10 padded, touch-tab dividers. This Core Unit features a soft, protective closed-cell foam construction and includes a Shimoda Designs Skin. A zippered cover with a top handle, the Skin protects the Core Unit from dust and allows it to be used independently, whether on its own or within another larger bag or case.
Our new DV Core units are made specifically for our Action X70 camera bag. The Large size is designed to carry and protect all the DV gear you need. The extra depth (at 20cm) makes it ideal for those who need to pack a RED or similar sized cine/video camera, as well as DSLRs with super telephoto lenses. Like all Shimoda Core Units, it is made with our high-quality EVA laminated sidewalls, dividers and has frame to add extra support and keep its shape.
- Cine/DV Camera Fit – The Large DV Core Unit was designed for videographers who use dedicated DV or DSLR camera bodies to capture content. It is sized to accommodate taller cine cameras like RED, Canon C300, Sony FS-7 etc. The extra depth also makes it ideal for packing ready-to-shoot DSLR or Mirrorless video setups, and it can even hold a DJI MAVIC drone standing vertically. While its roots stem from adventure-video needs, it is also a great Core Unit for creators who want to pack multiple pre-mounted camera set-ups to capture both still and motion images, as well as for those carrying large super-telephoto lenses.
- Supportive Frame – The DV series Core Units have an added frame around the rim of the opening. This ensures the insert keeps its shape and does not collapse when carried inside the backpack. The frame also adds stiffness and support to both the pack and insert, helping distribute the weight of heavy loads.
- Built for the Action X70 – Our DV Core Units are specifically built for our X70 camera bag. The X70 offers a very generous amount of volume for creators who need to pack and protect a large amount of gear.
- Protective EVA Shell and Dividers – Our Core Unit walls and dividers are constructed with EVA. This ensures much greater protection than cheaper PE foams used in most camera bags. With EVA we have greater control over the density and quality of materials used to protect your gear. It also means our walls can be thinner and use less internal volume while still providing superior protection.
We chose to laminate both the Jersey exterior shell and Tricot lining to the EVA. This makes the overall unit and dividers one piece which leads to a tighter design eliminates any sloppiness with the fastening of dividers. The shape of the actual divider tabs has a unique inward taper. This simple concept makes setting up the Core Unit and adjusting in the field much easier as it limits the catching of the fastener while inserting the divider.
- Light-Weight, Water-Repellant & Multipurpose Skin – The Core Unit has a multi-purpose cover designed to be light and packable. The shell material has water-resistant PU coating and meets C6 environmental standards. The Skin’s primary function is a storage case for the padded Core Units, ideal for when your gear is at home and not in use. It keeps the Core Unit sealed and dust free. Its secondary function is to use as a packing cell. A user can fill it with clothing or other common items and pack it in their backpack or carry-on roller. It offers an extra layer of organization to your workflow and travel transitions. It’s also very handy for keeping wet and dirty gear separated.